Time to get back to learning and to build on prior learning and move on forwards.
Here is a simple context that can help all our learners no matter how much or how little they have already learnt in the target language.Take a look at the picture above .....
Ask the children to look at the picture and to see the stepping stones in the picture.
Should we as a class find out how securely we can stand on the first three stepping stones
Stepping Stone One:
Reflect on what we already know - our numbers,our colours, our greetings....
- Think of a rhyme, a song or a game we can create,use or do which will allow us as a class to practise the language we already know.(Great way for a new class teacher to find out the strengths and knowledge of a class from the previous language learning)
Now we are standing securely on our first stepping stone.....
Stepping Stone Two:
Recall and remember an authentic song or rhyme that we learnt last year.
- Can we still sing it or say it? Are there actions to go with it?
- How does it feel to be able to remember the song or rhyme from last year and to still be able to join in with the rest of the class and perform it?
- Can the class teach the teacher the song or rhyme and its actions?
Now we are standing securely on our second stepping stone.......
Stepping Stone Three:
Recall and remember the questions and answers we can use about ourselves and to find out about others.
- What can we say about ourselves? How can we help each other to remember the answers?
- What questions can we ask about others?How can we help each other to remember the questions?
Now we are standing securely on our third stepping stone.......
Stepping Stone Four:
Take a look at the picture at the top of the blog post again.
Take a look at the picture with the children - the stepping stones are about to turn a corner.
Let's use the fourth stepping stone to lay down the ground rules so that we can move securely from stepping stone to stepping stone and off in to the distance!
Let's ask ourselves:
- Why was the game or the song or the rhyme enjoyable and how did this help us to remember language?
- Why do we like learning authentic songs and rhymes?
- How do actions help us?
- Why do we like being able to ask and answer questions about ourselves?
Stepping Stone Five:
Now we are ready to step off and move in to unknown territory and our final stepping stone needs to be something new..... over to you and your class!